View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

If the only reason that you are spaying her, is an upcoming visit to a house with a male dog, surely you know when she is due to come into her next season? I would make sure that the visit occurs after her last heat maybe 2 months or so after.

But you need to know the health risks of intact females, and be cognizant of how to check for things like pyrometra, mammary tumors, etc

The next thing I would do is to set up a list of questions to quiz your vet on, about their specific experience with small 2lbers on the spaying.

1. INtubation do they have a small enough tube for that tiny throat? What are the risks of developing CT or worsening a mild CT from the intubation.

2. What is their anaesthesia protocol?

3. What is her blood work like? Any areas of concern?

4. How do I change her diet to avoid weight gain that is pretty common after spaying?

Develop your own list, from your research as to the risks and benefits of spaying your gal.

Best of luck with your decision. ANd it is your decision to make in concert with your vet.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!