View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
newyorkiemama14
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default my tanner turns out to be a rescue baby

well, finally after 21 years of wanting a yorkie (wanted one since I was 8) I am finally a mommy to one. I found Tanner for sale from a local "breeder" on Facebook. She had him and his brother listed as ckc $300, 13 weeks old. I commented on the post inquiring about one of the babies, asking about dew claws, deworming, vaccinations being up to date, etc. And that if he died for me to hang on to his body for a refund. She said that they were UTD on everything, I told her I wanted the puppy. She came down to $275 on the price for me. I was scheduled to pick up the puppy on Thursday. Wednesday came around and I asked her if it would be ok if I came by after dropping my son off at school Thursday, she said due to security reasons, we don't like people to come to our house, I can meet you at the local grocery store and we can exchange cash for papers. RED FLAGS went up to say the least. I explained to her that I want to see how he plays, what his temperament is like, see his parents, since both are on site, and make sure that the puppy is going to be a good fit for my fiance and I and our 7 year old son. She then sends me a photo of the parents, and tells me that she will only be able to meet me at the store. I ask her that I'm just be various because this is a good bit of money, she tells me not to worry, the puppy is so sweet. I then ask for references for people that have purchased from this litter and from prior litters. So she then says to me that it has never come to this before and that she doesn't keep up with our remember who she sells her dogs to. Then my next approach, I get the puppys patents name and call her vet to get info. The vet told me everything I wanted to hear, puppies are healthy, UTD, etc, etc. After talking with my fiance about all the red flags and my gut feeling about this, I decided to go ahead and purchase the puppy based on the vets word.

Thursday morning I go and meet her and pick up my new puppy! As Tanner and I are going down the road, I hear him slightly wheezing. I don't think that much into it. When we got home, Tanner explored very little and spent the majority of the day sleeping. I had to run to the store that evening so I left my son and Tanner with the grandparents, who have owned yorkies and Maltese forever! When I returned home, I was informed that Tanner had a couple minute episode of disorientation, where his head bibles that was like seizure like, several of their Maltese had seizures over there lives. He came out of it and was fine.

Friday, Tanner still seemed very lethargic, and was barely eating. I would notice everything I would pick him up, he would get wheezy. While waiting on my son to get out of school, I hear this clicking/popping noise coming from his mouth, hmm now this isn't normal at all, I quickly take him to the vet thinking it may be collapsing trachea.

I took him to the same vet as the breeder. I quickly find out that he has not been seen since November 23 when he had his 6 wk suits and that he is not UTD. I'm confused at this point because I had just called on Wednesday. The 2 ladies at the desk had no remberance of the phone call. The text of the visit went downhill from there.

The dr found that Tanner was congested, had a fever, increased resperations and signs of collapsing trachea. He says that my best option would be to see about refunding him and getting my money back. At this point, I'm crying like crazy. He wrote me a letter explaining his findings and gives me some antibiotics and tells me that if I decide to keep him he wants to see him back in a week and I'd he's better to start his puppy shots. He tells me that if I keep him to look into pet insurance as this could be very costly.

I called the breeders and explained to them, she said well let me call my boyfriend and see what he can do. He calls me back and tells me that he would be willing to meet me and give me my money back and take the puppy back. I told him that I feel like I should be reimbursed for my expenses and that this puppy is not utd and it will cost me even more. He said that in all of his online research that puppies only get one set of shots. I told him he was an idiot and that he should not be breeding dogs! He told me that anytime someone buys a dog, it's their responsibility to get the dog vaccinated. I agreed with him but then told him that's when a puppy is sold as not having shots. He then said that the dog was listed as first shots only. I sent him the message from his gf saying he was utd and ready for his adult shots and rabies about. I told him that I was going to keep the puppy cause there's no way I could live with myself for returning this innocent baby back to him.

I will be contacting my local animal shelter to have them look into this, as well as reporting them to CKC for investigation.

Today, 3 days after being on medicine, my sweet Tanner is feeling much better and not having difficulty breathing. He has been 90 to nothing all day long. We love this little guy and he has brought us pure joy!!

I believe god was sending me a message with all the red flags, telling me to get this baby, that he needed saving!!!
newyorkiemama14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!