View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbarrett View Post
Thank you for your response! I just talked to my vet and he was tested for thyroid in 7/12 with a .5. He was on prednisone at the time so the vet did not take it any further saying that steroids will effect the thyroid levels. He does not have the other symptoms like weight gain, no energy or hair loss but I still may look into that. Can't hurt. As far as Cushing's, she said that is a lengthy test (8 hours)? so I think I will start with the thyroid and go from there.
To test for Cushings:

- you first do a very simple urine test called the Creatinine Cortisol Ratio Urine test -- this test is NOT conclusive. But, it is helpful in telling you whether you need to test FURTHER for Cushings. You want to do this first bc Cushings testing is more expensive and is more complicated - so you first test to see if you even need to go there.

- if the above test points to further testing, you then get the ACTH test done; it does not take 8 hours. Rather, you drop off your dog for about 4 hours.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!