View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Lookie what I found: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/die...onversion.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufufashions View Post
Thanks! yes, I've been awol for awhile. FB gets most of my attention now. LOL!!
The fresh pet roll is only 9% on my rolls. It's mostly water, like a canned food would be. She's been on it for almost a year now and has had no more liver issues like she did on the 26% protein kibbles. I don't know about converting it to dry food, I just go by the guaranteed analysis which is 9% on the serving size. She doesn't get kibbles anymore since they are generally higher in protein. The canned foods seem to be water based so the protein is lower. As long as Candy is healthy on it, she will stay on it. The crap the vet wanted her on was disgusting and she wouldn't eat it. She loves this stuff. The only problem that I was able to google about it was that it was low in protein so to me that was perfect. No recalls and that was extremely important to me. I wouldn't recommend it for a healthy dog since the protein is too low and they need more than 9%. All my other girls are on the kibble which is 26% and all are super healthy...even Kissy and she's almost 13 and still acts like a puppy. I have recommended the Fresh Pet to other friends that have dog's with liver shunt and kidney issues and they are doing well on it too. I think she would have to eat half of the roll to get the protein concentrate that you are talking about. She only gets 1/4" of the roll per serving so that's not much at all.
Linda, the actual protein level on the freshpet is NOT 9%. It is much higher, much higher than kibble. So is the fat. Once you remove the water (because it's not considered a nutrient, according to the link above) what you are left w/is dry matter. That is what they calculate the protein with. So in actuality, canned & roll type foods have higher protein than what the label says. When you have time, read the link in post #10. It also has a chart, very easy to understand.
Your other girls are actually getting less protein from their kibbles than Candy. One reason why she might be doing well is that freshpet uses highly digestible natural foods. In studies, higher quality proteins like raw food was given to kidney compromised dogs & they did well on it. It has something to do w/the moisture & easily digestible, high quality protein & fat. Of course if Candy's blood tests shows up WNL, then this food is perfect for her.

DogAware.com Health: Diet for Dogs with Kidney Disease
If your dog is not uremic, then the consensus seems to be to feed a moderate amount of very high quality protein. Eggs have the highest quality protein (although egg yolks are high in phosphorus), followed by meat (raw or cooked). The lowest quality protein comes from grains.

DogAware.com Health: Liver Disease in Dogs
If your dog is showing symptoms of liver disease, it may make sense to make some dietary adjustments. It is better to feed several small meals a day rather than one or even two, if possible. I would recommend feeding moderate amounts of both high quality protein and fat.

There's nothing wrong w/RX food, it's scientifically proven & tested. Way superior to reg kibble out in the market. But it's a whole different story when they won't touch it! These are all just my opinions & what I've learned while reading & researching, please work closely w/your vet & hope Candy continues to do well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokipoki View Post
Most varieties of Weruva look like pure shredded meat in the can with a sparse amount of veggies so I'd assume it's pretty high in protein...the protein is around 10-12% which is relatively high. Natural Balance's sweet potato and chicken canned food is 5.5% which is comparable to a moderately low protein kibble and one of the lowest protein canned foods I've found (Jenny is totally right though...regular canned foods are much higher in protein than kibble...you cannot compare dry food and canned food without standardizing the values). Will your Bubbles eat kibble if it's soaked in water?

It can be tricky to find a commercial food that meets specific needs and a special diet will require some type of Rx or consultation. I would ask your vet about a low protein prescription canned food or consult with a nutritionist and do homecooking since you are managing a medical condition.

To the OP:
This is a great link w/loads of info. Best of luck & good health for Bubbles!

DogAware.com Health: Prescription Diets for Dogs with Kidney Disease
Remember that low protein is unnecessary and even harmful unless your dog is uremic, but low phosphorus is advisable. Moderate protein reduction may be required if your dog has proteinuria (significant protein in the urine). In general, I think canned food may be preferable to dry, as the extra moisture can help your dog stay hydrated, though you can add water to dry food to accomplish the same purpose.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!