View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
shyorkies
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan
I don't routinely do FBP or BA on pups. There is no need if the breeding pairs have been screened, the breeder is aware of the health history of the pedigrees and the pups are healthy.
Breeding pairs are regularly checked with blood panels and that would be the first indicator for a problem requiring further tests.
http://www.tsfannymaelivershunt.com/drtobias.html
The above link is from the TSFannymaelivershunt foundation.. I personally think that testing is necessary! If the gene is found to be recessive, you can test your breeders and they can test negative for LS, but still carry the gene to pass it on.. As of date they still have not pin pointed the exact gene.. Alot of breeders also believe in controlled breeding and we do not always hear of LS puppies from certain lines.. I personally do not practice controlled breeding and I feel that if I have brought a puppy into this world it is my responsibility to make sure they are given every opportunity to have a good healthy life!

Our vet does complete (full) blood panels and if the numbers would be off we than would do a acid bile test..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!