View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Charm View Post
Showing has definitely been of strong interest to me and when I got my girl I followed her lines and definitely went into it with the intent to show. Turns out I had a lot of foundation to develop just as far as our relationship and being a dog owner goes - and it has been a great journey I love my girl Anywho, I have intentionally attended a few shows over the last four years or so - specifically to watch the yorkies- and have done some reading in the attempt to educate myself, though it seems as though there is limited literature (at least structured in the way I want it to be: Clear, Step by Step, how to) to be read on the subject. What I have read and found to read easily though, is breed standard and expectations and I find myself, within this thread, with a question...isn't weight specifications for show restricted to the AKC breed standard of 4-8lbs? Mind you, I am uneducated on this subject so I am hoping that the clever show seasoned ladies of yorkie talk will tell me My girl turned out to be a teeny tiny even though with her parentage and among her siblings and charting she was more likely to be larger.

Kirsten McGregor has some good videos on show preparation and training, I am sure if you google her you will find those videos for sale.

For an oldie but a goodie overall with very clear examples see: Rachel Page Elliotts Dogsteps: What to look for in a Dog.

The AKC breed standard does not list a range of pounds - just not to exceed 7lbs.

It is best to attend a show handling class or three, where you will get step by step instructions. Remember this is a practical skill you are trying to learn so hands on practice is necessary. They will show you how to gather the lead in your hand, where to place the collar and how to keep it taut without being too tight. How to stack your dog. There are some good videos on YouTube for this as well. This helps you to learn how to practice intelligently with your dog.

You can also attend at some shows Practice conformation rounds, that is fun and the judges are really out to help each exhibitor.

There are a lot of moving parts when you step into that ring. You have the judges instructions (which you need to hear) even if your dog is acting up Staying a correct distance from your competitor - you don't want to crowd the dog ahead of you. And while there is a standard way of going through the judging session, just when you become comfy, you will get a judge vary it up. No stacking first, Go around, and then go around again, do the down n back. Now I will examine. Just a for instance of how a judge might mix it up on you. That is why it is very good to watch how that judge you are under today handles his ring; that is to try to limit the surprise on your part when you walk into the ring.

Don't just watch how the Yorkies are handled, take videos of most of the toy breed moving and being handled in the ring. Then walk over to the terrier group, after all Yorkies are terriers

As a handler you want to present your dog and show off their best attributes. You got a good moving Yorkie? Well take that whole length of the down and back mat. And btw the Mat is there for your dog and NOT YOU. You should be on either side of the mat with your dog prime center piece in the middle. Now to show off the best attributes you need to know what they are. A fine head? A dead level top line? A sweet expression? A perfect coat? THis would then go into finetuning the stack presentation.

Treats or called baiting in the ring. Well you got to learn how to handle that. Many pro handlers put the bait in their mouth. I only do that when I have real meat or chicken, and it took me years to carry bait in my mouth, and actually have a conversation with the judge Mainly we use our pockets for bait.

Some judges will force you to show under loose lead, and you betta be ready for that. In fact in one fantastic seminar I went to, the judge spent 30 minutes practising with us, so that we would show any dog under loose lead.

A trot, is a trot, is a trot...... Welllllllllll............. Somewhat. Each dog has a preferred best shown at trotting speed. You learn this through self videoing and varying your speed at the trot. Or practise with a knowledgeable partner. There are methods to train and teach your dog how to extend their trot, and they are well worth the effort.
Also video your dog free moving, not under lead, somewhere safe, like in your fenced in backyard, hopefully you will see that wonderfull fluid trot happen.

For Yorkies what I have found given my height of 5'3" I can extend my legs and walk fast and usually can get most Yorkies at their fullest extended trot. You when you show depending on the size and preference of your dog, need to extend your pacing. If your normal pace length is 10" then you want to extend to what is practical for you to do, maybe it is up to 16" or 18". You need the right shoes to do this with. NO HEELS or stilettos out in the ring, for you you want a non slip sole on your shoe.

And so you practice varying the length of your stride. Truly it can be very fun, experimenting learning, and finally achieving your goal.

Good luck in the rings
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!