View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Welcome to Yorkie Talk and congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Our second boy was 8 months old when we brought him home. He was like your boy and was happy to come along with us. Very well trained by the breeder and sweet as can be. However, he immediately wanted nothing to do with other people.

We believe that our Teddy was so in love with his new home, that he feared losing it. This might be what is behind your boys' aggression. He could be protecting his new family and himself when you are out.

I agree with Ann that time, training, and TLC will improve the situation.

Start training at home for basic obedience, things like sit and "watch me." Use treats. Then start working outdoors. Try walking near, but not too close to other dogs. Keep him focused on you, make him sit and watch you for the treat. There are a lot more exercises on YouTube that are helpful.

With people, you have to be careful because many people don't know how to approach a dog, let alone a nervous one. I always hold Teddy close to my feet and let people pet Max instead. People don't always need to touch your dog.

One of the hardest things about training for a problem like this is not letting your dog sense your anxiousness. They can hear our breathing quicken or our hand tense ever so slightly on the leash in anticipation that there is going to be a scene.

There are training exercises to acclimate your dog to people. To be honest, we have just accepted that Teddy will never be excited to greet strangers. He is fine sometimes, like in a shopping cart with people poking their hands in. For safety, I try to discourage it though.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!