View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Newman View Post
Thanx, I do agree 100%. I really do think he is insecure. He acts like the big boy but I think he is scared. When I put him out to potty, he runs out into the yard and starts barking right away.. even when there is nothing or a sound in sight.
I just signed us up for Puppy Level 1 trainign at PETCO starting Jan. i night a week for 6 weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Well, I've never been impressed with what I have seen of PETCO's methods but it's worth a try. Just remember that there are a lot of different ideas about dog training out there but with a terrier positive reinforcement works best. Never be harsh or scold but always praise and treat for even the smallest positive action. If he is aggressive toward other dogs he may not do well in a crowd of other dogs so be prepared to deal with that. Don't be too disappointed if things don't go well. It just means he is not ready for that kind of stress.
He has been through a lot for a youngster. He is confused and stressed as it is. By the sounds this guy has been through a lot of situations that were very frightening for him.
If you can't get a personal trainer then look for a good book on Yorkshire Terriers that has obedience training in it. I know there is a book out there that is called Yorkshire Terrier for Dummies that is highly recommended by Yorkie owners. I'm not sure how much obedience training is in it through. It certainly is worth getting it as I have heard it has helped a lot of first time Yorkie owners. Terriers are a different type of dog with all their own quirks and issues.
For now though try just teaching him to sit. Try buying some freeze dried meat treats to give him when he sorta gets it right. They are small and dogs love them. They are also much better for your dogs than some of the stuff they sell in department stores.

He desperately needs to learn that he can depend on you to be his leader and that you are in charge so that he does not need to be. Right now he is so insecure that he is fearful at every turn. When he learns that his people are there to be the leader and protector he will begin to trust and relax. I have a feeling he has never been able to do that in his short lifetime.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!