View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Bumble
Yorkie Talker

Default Need advice/guidance about liver/kidney/gallbladder issues

Hello! My sweet little Bumble is almost 13 years old, and in October she went to the vet for a regular checkup and blood work. BUN was at 120, creatinine was in normal limits. Liver is enlarged, and liver enzymes were elevated. I have exact bloodwork numbers, and can post them later. The vet started her on ursodiol and Denamarin for a liver cleanse, basically.

December 2nd, we went back to the vet for follow up bloodwork, and her BUN was down to 54, creatinine at 1.0. Ultrasound showed "gunk" in her gallbladder, but apparently not a mucocele. Vet was concerned that perhaps she had a bleeding ulcer (causing the unusual BUN increase), so we treated her with antibiotics (amoxicillin and metronidazole) and Carafate liquid. Kept her on Denamarin and ursodiol. Within a week of the antibiotics, she started to not feel well, and throw up periodically. Over the weekend, she started throwing up once or twice a day, and she obviously feels bad today. Took her to the vet this morning, and bloodwork now shows that her BUN is 169, creatinine 2.5. Now her phosphorous is "beyond max range" for his equipment (over 15, when it should be no more than 6.6). He's going to do an ultrasound shortly to see what's going on, and put her on FOUR TIMES maintenance fluids for today. That frightens me, because I had a cat die in October because of that...his heart couldn't handle the amount of fluids being pumped into him.

I'm afraid my vet has no idea what's going on, and I don't know what tests to ask for. He's obviously reluctant to refer me to an internist, and the only one in my area is by referral only at the emergency clinic. Have any of you ever seen numbers like this in a yorkie, or have any idea what it might be? I just don't even know where to go from here. I'm terrified I'm going to lose her, and she was just fine until we started the antibiotics and Carafate.

Dana and Bumble
Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!