View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgirl View Post
Do not supplement with calcium during pregnancy. It can lead to uterine inertia. I use it when my girls are in active labor to help with contractions.
I agree....and I always start with glucose during whelp, to see if that will strengthen her and give her"a second wind"....if she needs calcium, I will go to that next....but I always know what my lady's calcium level is within 24 hours prior to whelp....so giving calcium at that point is not really to correct a low calcium level, it is to strengthen her contractions. You supplement calcium, if needed, after the babies are born and momma is having to nurse....that is when her calcium level can become depleted, and she will do well to be on a maintainance dose of calcium. If your female is on an excellent diet, this further helps with her electrolytes...if she has been on an excellent diet during her pregnancy, her babies are getting everything they need as they grow and develop....you dont need supplemtents, and can easly do more harm than good.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!