View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Kareberry
Yorkie Yakker

Congrats on the new puppy! I know it's tempting to get a lot of things for the new puppy and I had done the same thing. However, I felt the best products I have now were ones that I purchased online and NOT at the pet store.

Here are some things I learned along the way:

Harness - my puppy was too small for the smallest harness size, and I didn't bother taking her out before her shots anyway so I waited before purchasing a harness (if you must buy one, cat harnesses are small enough if your baby is very small, custom adjustables through etsy, i waited until my puppy got bigger before investing in buddy belts because they are expensive)

Combs - I bought Madan pin brush and steel tail or mustache combs from toplinepet.com, a member here. The brushes I bought from the pet store just wasn't the same, my puppy didn't like them. Definitely buy a comb for the gunk that gets stuck under the tear ducts.

Shampoo/Conditioner: I really really like Sheapet. The stuff I bought from the pet store was very drying in the climate here, even Pethead and Tropiclean. I've heard Espree and Yorkie Splash and Shine are good but I've never used them. I didn't wait to get this, but I should have because my puppy came cleaned and I didn't feel she needed a bath until after a couple weeks.

Nutrical - I DID buy nutrical because I just like to be prepared.

Nail clippers (from pet store) - I bought cat nail clippers because they were small and look like scissors, I trained her on these since day 1 which has definitely made my life easier but it also means she has not been socialized with the dremel

Toys - puppy nylabone brand teething keys were my favourite, followed by the cheapest and smallest rope toy, soft squeaker toys, tennis ball and Kong

Air-tight Containers - for all her treats and kibble. I buy small bags of kibble because by the time she gets to the bottom of the bag she doesn't like to eat it. Might not be a problem for your puppy but it was for mine! Apparently there is a difference between fresh kibble and not so fresh kibble! Lol.

Generic from the petstore: bed, xpen, food bowls, puppy pads, lots of odour and stain remover, lots of toys, (if you do xpen training, i find i didn't really need the crate, but if you do crate training, xpen is still helpful)

Clippers - If you plan on doing your own trimming, which I did, I started socializing this early but apparently not slow and early enough! My baby is almost 1 year old and still iffy about this

Leash - I bought the regular size 4 or 6ft you can get at the pet store, but I also bought the 30ft nylon leash which I trained her on so now when she likes to run far, at least she doesn't run father than roughly 30ft and she always looks back at me. I don't like the retractable ones for training reasons.

Toothbrush - i just bought a baby toothbrush at the drug store, it works

Toothpaste - i bought CET from my vet

Flea treatment - I bought Revolution from my vet, depending on where you are, you may not need it now due to winter seasons

Clothing - when I finally took her outdoors, dog shoes was the one item I never regretted purchasing too many of, I got the disposable ones first since she was growing. All other clothing items were just gifts to dress her up cuz it's fun but not something I bought in her first few months

Washable potty pads - I ended up switching to washables for many reasons, I wish I started earlier because now I have a whole box of disposable ones I'm not going to use

Hope that helps!
Kareberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!