View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Yes, smaller females don't usually get the winning points. Note I say usually. There are some that will show a smaller female for the sport of getting out there and practicing their technique. I had one female as a pup that had it all and then stopped growing and stayed at 4 pounds. She was not getting the points. I asked a judge one day after ring time and she told me any points on this bitch would be wasted (she could not be bred). This happened in the beginning if my career when I was learning. She was spayed and was a pet from that show on. And what that judge said made total sense! And yes, there are some judges that prefer the smaller type. But all in all, the most wins go to females between 5 - 7 pounds. I prefer 6 pounds.
Males - I have never seen a 3.5 pounds or less show in the confirmation ring.

Yes, weight is Not the most important. It is about movement, balance, structure, coat, and temperament. Yorkies are terriers and must show confidence in the ring. You want a nice silky straight coat with good color. You want a straight topline as they move as if they could carry a cup and saucer on top of their backs. Judges also look at measurement of eyes, head, ear placement, and muzzle.
When showing you have to take in account at what is in the ring that day. That is what the judge has to pick from for placement.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!