View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Scoobstersmom
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vms1177 View Post
Yes thanks we have no clue what she has at this point. This all started after blood testing before her dental when her bloods levelS for cholesterol and albumin were abnormal however she was not showing any symtoms of HE. That was any concern until after the dental. I am doing research on this so I was curious to know if anyone had a Yorkie that is being fed the low protein diet long term. I am not saying she has HE at this point. I appreciate the knowledge and experiences with this that others. I will keep in touch and appreciate the prayers

My boy has liver disease and was suspected of having HE last year. There is a lab test (blood) that can check ammonia levels to determine whether your dog has probable HE. I think we had to fast him overnight and have the blood draw first thing in the AM and it was not an inexpensive test. He tested negative and did not need lactulose. To answer your question though, my little guy has been on a low protein diet for years now for another health issue. He does fine with the low protein. You just have to be careful to balance the diet to regulate the protein and also maximize calories to keep the weight on. I find it easier to home cook fresh food for him, but there are commercial prescription diets available that will also meet those needs. I hope you are able to find an easy solution for your girl.

Diana and Scooby
Scoobstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!