View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
I get very bothered by people that try to apply Cesar Milan's methods to their own dogs. His show has a disclaimer right at the beginning saying ''DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME, UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL.'' Or something like that. He works with severely aggressive dogs, and his techniques are not to be used by normal dog owners. Just because Cesar does it, does not mean you can or should that is why there is a disclaimer. Obedience is pretty straight forward, give lots of praise and treats. I use the NILF method, or ''Nothing in life is free'' which means basically...lots of good quality treats. You have to apply it everywhere, even on outings. If you're at the beach and get yourself an ice cream cone and your pup is whining for a lick give a stern 'SIT' and only let the pup have a taste when they sit, just as an example. If they do something really naughty like snap, bite, get into the trash,ect. Tell them NO and put them outside or make them lay down in their bed for a while as punishment and ignore them. Another thing you can do is hold them like a muzzle gently by the snout, sit down with them and make them look at you and say NO, BAD. They don't need anymore than this, it's enough for them to know you are the boss and are upset with their behaviour.

Nothing in life is free is a very easy method, and works well. Some people are cruel with it and take the dogs food away and use that as a treat, which I highly disagree with but the easiest way is to just always reward them for being good and when they are bad let it be known. Sometimes they don't respond to it and need negative reinforcement, but never do it out of anger or they'll fear you. If you must punish the dog, do it gently and sternly...like for example if your dog gets into the trash dont smack it over the face with a newspaper, grab it by the collar and say NO BAD many times as you forcefully but gently lead it to the time-out corner lol. They will learn.
Putting a small dog outside by itself could be dangerous to the dog like if its to cold, raining, people who could steal it, other dogs, and wild animals. Using a collar for anything other then tags like grabbing it by the collar can put unnecessary strain on there trachea that can lead to collapsing trachea and if you do it to a dog that already has that you can cause them to go into a ct fit. Saying no bad many times is to much it should be one firm No. Saying No when there actually doing the bad behavior is very important or they wont know what your talking about.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!