View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

My experience has been that positive training methods work best, especially with little dogs who can have fear issues. I use "no," but for the most part I'm rewarding success and not punishing failure. I'm redirecting them to positive activities instead. I.E., if they're chewing on a shoe, I give them a chew toy. If they stop barking when I ask, they get a treat. ...

My philosophy sort of evolved in the 9 years I've owned my first Yorkie. I started out with an obedience school that employed many of Cesar's philosophies. But I wasn't happy with the results. Oh, they learned, but they fought me and weren't having fun.

I switched schools to a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, and I was delighted. Everything was positive, and my dogs learned to enjoy obedience, rally, agility and now nosework.

Both of mine are happy and well-mannered and have passed the Pet Partner therapy dog test multiple times.

Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!