View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I agree 100%. Sadly, the main focus of the conformation ring as a "proving ground for your breeding prospect" fallen by the wayside.

Much of the Yorkshire Terrier breed standard is so ambiguous that too much discretion is allowed the judges in placing classes. To become successful in the show ring, one must carefully select and show to the judge(s) whose interpretation of the breed standard and/or the judge's personal preference most closely matches your dog/bitch.

Then the show politics comes in to play. I have actually been ringside and heard judges ask breeders/handlers "what they need" and have the judge place the class accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Actually at the shows I have been to I see yorkies of all sizes in the ring. The smaller females that are under 5 lbs usually have a harder time competing and do not normally finish as easily. I have seen males and females under 5 lbs that have become champions but I would say most are in the 5 to 7 lbs range. Some of the top winning yorkies are over 7 lbs. The larger yorkies are able to compete better in the group ring.

Those yorkie exhibitors that have been showing for a long time have learned what the different judges prefer. Some judges more consistently put up the smaller yorkies and some will put up the bigger ones.

There is so much more to consider than weight when judging yorkies. Yorkies all have different body structure. In the ring you might have two yorkies that are the same exact weight but at a glance one might look bigger than the other. Some are tall and fine boned and some have a short cobby body. To me the leggier yorkies have a more elegant movement. You just have to look at the structure of the dog.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!