View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Princes mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Wow! You sound a lot like me! We are going through the same thing! Ian wakes up every morning at 3a.m.!! He will not settle down until one of us gets up to let him go potty, and give him a couple of his breakfast kibble. We always make sure that he goes to the bathroom before he goes to bed, but he still wakes up...at 3! Sometimes he'll sleep a little longer, but now I still wake up at three because he has me trained. I also have sleep issues, and usually stay up even though I don't have to be at work until 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theporkieyorkie View Post
Too Funny....I was just about to start a similar thread.

I am at my wits end with my 10 year old male. He gets me up SEVERAL times during the night and I can't tell you the last time I got a good nights sleep. He sleeps in bed with me and I do end up waking up a bit on my own(I suffer from secondary insomnia)...and when he sees I am up, he thinks it's time to get up to go potty or go eat. Sometimes he wakes me up out of a dead sleep. He is very persistent and will annoy me until I get so frustrated, I cave in. He will start out talking with these little throat gurgling noises and if that doesn't work, he will climb on my chest and start pawing at my face(which hurts) as his talking gets louder and louder.

I don't necessarily think he has to go potty every time, although he does sometimes. I think he's bored and he wants food. I have ended up caving several times and he gets food in the middle of the night. Sometimes he gets canned food....but I also keep a bag of dentastix on my nightstand....and he thinks if he gets me up, he can get one of those. He's a smart cookie and knows he can work the system.

It has literally gotten so bad that I moved a cage in my bedroom. After he'd gotten me up 5 times in one night, I did end up putting him in the cage...for about 2 minutes and then let him back out....but it's getting ridiculous. I was up 6 times last night with him.

He also sucks down water like a madman at night. He will get me up to go outside and go potty and then he will come in a suck down a lot of water on his way back to bed. I feel bad picking up his water though. I know he snores and his mouth is probably dried out...but I think he drinks more water between the hours of 10pm and 8am than he does all day.

What should I do?? I can't keep going on with no sleep. It's bad enough that I have sleep issues...but he's making it so much worse. My other dog uses pee pads and he doesn't make a peep unless I get up out of bed....but Prince is relentless, and it's getting to the point where I am thinking about crating him and I'd hate to do that.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!