View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Alora
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Exclamation BE WARNED! Mountain Ash Berries

So Henri and I had quite the Thanksgiving holiday.
Twice I found bloody looking goop all over the floor, it was awful looking and smelled even worse. My family frantically tried to figure out which dog it was but couldn't figure it out and the veterinarian offices in the area wouldn't open until the Monday after Thanksgiving. I came to the conclusion that it was Henri after finding a similar goop stuck to his hair, so on Monday I set up an appointment for him for Tuesday. My family just moved into a rental place in October that had a tree with red berries on it, I was suspicious of the dogs eating the ones the birds knocked off. Sure enough that when I took Henri in to get him checked I showed the berry to the vet and he told me that it was a Mountain Ash berry. Even though Mountain Ash isn't toxic to dogs, it can still mess them up and give them diarrhea and vomiting. The vet gave Henri something to help get him right again and he was put on a bland diet to clear his system, I was told to get every berry away from him (both on the ground and on the tree). Just to be safe though I had them do some tests to make sure it wasn't something else more serious, it wasn't and Henri got a clean bill of health
I am glad to say that Henri is much better and hopefully learned his lesson about those berries (I know I have ).

I just wanted to warn everyone though, DO NOT LET YOUR DOG EAT MOUNTAIN ASH BERRIES! It will save you a vet visit

P.S. I tried to get him in as soon as possible but they had no Monday appointments available, so I settled for Tuesday morning. There is also no emergency vet anywhere near us otherwise I would have taken Henri to them immediately.

Alora is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!