View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Draco
Senior Yorkie Talker

I'd say get a second opinion, from your vet. But start looking for ways to save pay for surgery just in case.
Draco broke the same area and his little toes. They said we were extremely lucky because he could have needed surgery. On our first visit they put him a splint, so like a soft cast. Then told us to come back in a week to see how it was doing and make sure he wouldn't need surgery. He didn't need surgery and healed perfectly. Although he was around 3 1/2 months at the time, and the doctor said him being a young puppy had a lot to do with the healing process since he still had growing to do. The whole process I think ended up being a little over 900$ With the xrays, visit fees, pain medication, and going back every other week or so to have the splint taken off looking at his paw and then putting another on. Though I live in Los Angeles, and even here I'm sure the price could have differed by going to other vets. But I went one I trusted, not one that was just going to go the cheap route, nor one that made me feel like I was paying for unnecessary things.

As far as taking care of Draco, he was super hyper him hurting his paw didn't slow him down one bit. Which was actually the awful part because the vet wanted him to stay off the paw as much as possible and keep him very small space to limit movement. We got bully sticks and other chew toys to entertain him. Luckily had a friend visiting for the most part while he was healing so he was never left alone and she loves playing with him.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!