View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
MandiesMom
and Shelby's too
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlYorkie View Post
I still have not got my Yorkie. I hope to have him in January or February. But I am getting all the things and info together for me to know and have. But I have some grooming questions.

1. Is it okay to use Yorkie Splash and Shine Shampoo and Conditioner?
2. When I take my Yorkie to get a hair cut will they want to was him?
3. If yes to number 2 is that okay to use two different kind of shampoo and conditioner on a Yorkie?
4. What kind of brush & combs to use at home? (he will have the Yorkie Puppy Cut)
5. How many brush & combs do I need?
6. Is it okay to use the dog cologne/fragrance spray on a Yorkie?
7. The times I don't feel like give him a bath it's okay to use the bath wipes for dogs on him?
8. Any other things I need to get or know about grooming?
Hi there! So exciting..this waiting for your pup time. Where are you getting him/her from? I see you are not far from here..in Atlanta. I have my eye on a breeder in that area so was curious where you are getting yours.

Anyway, my answers (I'm no expert) are:

1. Is it okay to use Yorkie Splash and Shine Shampoo and Conditioner?

Absolutely, many love this brand. You'll probably try several before you decide what works best - I did anyway. Just make sure to use puppy/tearless shampoo on the face.

2. When I take my Yorkie to get a hair cut will they want to was him?

Do you mean "wash" (instead of "was")? I think you can make that call and tell them what you want. They will wash if you want them to do so. My biggest suggestion is to know your groomer well. Forge a relationship with her/him. Get good recommendations. Talk to clients of that groomer.

3. If yes to number 2 is that okay to use two different kind of shampoo and conditioner on a Yorkie?

Again, I would just tell the groomer what you want used. Or even ask for her/his suggestion.

4. What kind of brush & combs to use at home? (he will have the Yorkie Puppy Cut)

Madan Pin brushes are amazing. I had to fight Mandie during grooming until I got one. Some others perfer wooden pin brushes. Some use slicker combs. I just use a Madan pin brush (you can find these at toplinepet.com ) You can also message mimimomo (Jenny .. she owns toplinepet..she can answer and suggest so many great pieces of info based on your Yorkie's coat type. she helped me so much with Mandie). Also, I use a mustache comb (it has wider teeth on one end and smaller teeth..like a flea comb..on the other end). I use this on her face, but also after I brush, I go thru her coat with the comb to ensure all tangles are found and addressed.

5. How many brush & combs do I need?

See above. Definitely one brush and one mustache comb. A slicker brush if so inclined.

6. Is it okay to use the dog cologne/fragrance spray on a Yorkie?

It is, but judge by the Yorkie's reactions. Some may have allergies to such things..like excessive runny eyes and noses. May even have skin breakouts. Also, you..it might affect you, too. I don't use them.

7. The times I don't feel like give him a bath it's okay to use the bath wipes for dogs on him?

I use wipes on Mandie almost daily. To clean around her face, belly, female areas. Make sure you get the natural, non-scented kind. So, yes, and you can base how often your pup needs a bath. Some do it weekly and some every 2 weeks and variations between that. It really depends on the pup's lifestyle (like is he/she outside a lot or always inside)

8. Any other things I need to get or know about grooming?

The main tip I will give a new Yorkie owner in the grooming department is to take things very slowly. Brush a little and then give a treat. Talk loving and praising as you brush. The pup will get aggitated quickly so just do a little and do a break and come back to it. Build the bond and tolerance. Some actually love it right off and some (like my Mandie) think it is sheer torture at first. It's a process of showing the pup that it's actually good for them..they get loving and praise and treats and bonding time.

You'll do great!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!