View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
JuliannaB
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesmom_2007 View Post
First things first, you need to have towels, hemostats, child scissors if you can find some, a bulb syringe, non waxed dental floss, a regular pair of scissors, lubricant like KY gel , a box or container you can put either a heating pad or something you can use to create warmth for the pups in between her delivering them. Most use a hotwater bottle or a sock with rice both can be warmed up in the microwave. When your girl starts having contractions it is best to squirt some lubricant into her vulva to help the pups slide out a little easier. make sure you get the sack from the face first as you will need to wipe their face and syringe any possible fluid from their mouth and noses. Then clamp the cord with the hemostat , some use 2 and cut between the two. once the pup is completely out start to dry it off with a towel this should get them to cry out . You want them to cry out. Depending on how fast your girl whelps each pup you can usually put each pup on her to nurse. Make sure they latch on. As soon as she starts having another contraction take the pup or pups already born and put them in the warming box. I have to say with 8 pups you may have to alternate feeding times or supplement them. If you do end up having to supplement them wait until after they are 24 hours old because their digestive systems will be better able to handle a puppy formula. Also make sure pups are nice and warm before any supplementing is done. I also want to add that it might be a good idea to get a beef liver from the grocery store. They have them presliced . If you boil the liver just until the outside is brownish grey you then take the broth and give each pup 2 to 4 drops for the first few days it will help them. Not sure why or how but I did this for a pup that was not thriving and she is now almost 3 years old.
Wow! What great passion you have for YTers. So nice of you spend your time to send such a lengthy response. I sure learn a lot on this forum. Thanks!
JuliannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!