View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Most likely she will do just fine but you really never know. It will be very hard on the momma to raise 8 pups but it can be done. I had one female that had 8 pups a year or so ago and she was able to raise them but she did have some problems with eclampsia when the pups were a few days old because the momma was not eating enough and she was not getting enough calcium. The vet said to up her calcium intake to two pills a day. I use Doc Roy's Healthy Bones from Revival Animal Health. I started soaking her dry puppy food in warm water and I added some canned puppy food to that and she did very well after that. It is essential that you make sure the momma eats four big meals a day. It is especially important to make sure she eats right before bedtime and first thing in the morning. Make sure you have puppy formula available because it is very possible you might have to supplement the pups.

Do you have her whelping box ready? I recommend buying a package of disposable bed pads from Wal-mart. They come in real handy when whelping pups. It gets really messy, especially with large litters. Also keep in mind that she may go early since she is carrying so many pups.

During the deliver it is advisable to give her some Nutri-cal or a calcium supplement like Oral-cal Plus between puppies. You really need to make sure you have some on hand in case she starts showing signs of eclampsia. You can order it here:
Oral Cal Plus

Have you ever delivered pups before? If not I highly recommend you find someone that can be there to help you. Please keep us updated.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!