View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoNdelilah View Post
My delilah and toby tied on Oct 3rd. She's 7/8 lbs and he is 5/6 lbs. . She's 55 days pregnant today. Took her on Monday to the vet and did x rays. She weighed 11.8 lbs & There is 8 puppies in there!! Vet measured heads and said she should be able to deliver on her own. But I'm soo nervous should i schedule her a c- section or let her have them naturally??
I think that a whole more needs to be known. Is this her first litter? How old is she? Do you have both a whelping mentor to be with you, and do you have your vet on speed dial in case of emergencies during whelping? Will your vet be available to you 24/7 from now to 10 or so days from now? If your vet is un-available do you know where to go next? Programmed the directions into your GPS?

8 pups is a very large litter for a Yorkie, so it would not be unusual for your gal to get exhausted during the whelp particularly if you have to re-position a baby in the birth canal. If that happens you will be in for an emergency C section. The age of the female makes a difference as well.

You better be prepared to calcium supplement her after whelping, and to prepare to supplement feed if necessary. Weigh scale is going to need to be in use a whole lot. Daily weighings at a minimum. You want to m ake sure that litter if all survive the birth thrive!

Have on hand a goats milk supplement in case your gal can't nurse all those babies. There is a recipe on here for this. Pre made Puppy supplement is well frankly not as good.

Debbie Jensen has a good website for novice breeders.

Last edited by gemy; 11-28-2013 at 12:15 PM.
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!