View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
sportschick
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
Well, you pretty much describe the terrier personality. She is just exerting her terrier will. They are known for being willful and stubborn. They may be little but they were bred to be killing machines so I guess we have to cut them some slack.
I never had a terrier before Gracie and I was shocked when Gracie turned "terrier" on me at only a few months of age! I remember her rolling on her back (just a tiny little thing) baring her teeth at me and growling at me! I didn't know if she was playing or not. I had worked with various different dogs for decades and never met a pup like her! She wanted to kill everything in sight. I found I couldn't train her the same way I had all those other dogs because she just had a totally different nature. It was a struggle of wills.
Eventually I learned that it was a lot of work but I never want any other kind of dog. These little ever ready toys are just so full of it that there is never a dull moment. They are just so smart that they can't be allowed to get bored or they are likely to tell you off!
I do think they are not right for everyone though. People who want to live a quiet sedate life should not have a terrier. They are little and adorable but for the most part I guess they are a dog for active folks. I have found myself being much more active than I would have chosen to be just because of Gracie......and that is a good thing.....most of the time.....except when I am falling asleep and she throws one of her toys in my face because she wants me to make it come to life for her so she can kill it! I don't know if she will ever outgrow that!
Oh my God, your post is too funny!! I totally agree, I would never want any other kind of dog and no, they aren't for everyone and you are so right, they just don't "conform" to the regular training methods. And yes, it IS a struggle of wills and I try and explain to people how this dog is (like my really fat boss who INSISTS that he WILL MAKE HER HEEL if HE walks her), that she isn't like a regular dog. She just isn't. And to tell you the truth, sometimes the positive training methods just don't work and I have to break out the squirt bottle.

Beanie does the same thing to me with the growling when we play with her ball. It is so freakin funny!! I know that it is just play growling. I pick up her back legs while she has the ball in her mouth and she makes the funniest noise!! I swear, she makes me laugh out loud just about every day. When I am TRYING to do my a.m., old body stretches, she takes her angry bird ball and will push into my face, then into my ears because I am not throwing it around for her to kill. Or when I am stretching my back on, what I call my rack, she HAS to jump up onto my boobs and sit there while I do my traction and look down at my face like WTF are you DOING and WHY aren't you playing with me.

She is the absolute love and joy of my life and I can't imagine her not being with me. I also can't believe that I can love this little creature so much!! Like more than people.
sportschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!