View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportschick View Post
That is great to hear that Gracie calmed down at 3 years old. I will await Beanie being 3!!! I do work with her on doing things like going DOWN the ramp in the living room instead of jumping off the couch. I do that just about every day. I am trying to stop her from jumping off the couch to save her legs for when she gets older. All that repetitive stuff causes arthrititis in our doggies as well as us.

But, I have to tell you, this dog is extremely willfull, stubborn and any other adjectives to describe an a amimal (or human) that has a mind of their own and is just going to pursue what they want.

I love my Beanie to death, I would NOT want her to be any different, she is like me, she likes what she likes, she wants what she wants, and that is it.

Most of the time I am fine with her nuttiness, there are just days that I get a tad frustrated. She is the love of my life and I would wouldn't change her for anything, although I DO need moral support every once in a while, hence my posts here.
Well, you pretty much describe the terrier personality. She is just exerting her terrier will. They are known for being willful and stubborn. They may be little but they were bred to be killing machines so I guess we have to cut them some slack.
I never had a terrier before Gracie and I was shocked when Gracie turned "terrier" on me at only a few months of age! I remember her rolling on her back (just a tiny little thing) baring her teeth at me and growling at me! I didn't know if she was playing or not. I had worked with various different dogs for decades and never met a pup like her! She wanted to kill everything in sight. I found I couldn't train her the same way I had all those other dogs because she just had a totally different nature. It was a struggle of wills.
Eventually I learned that it was a lot of work but I never want any other kind of dog. These little ever ready toys are just so full of it that there is never a dull moment. They are just so smart that they can't be allowed to get bored or they are likely to tell you off!
I do think they are not right for everyone though. People who want to live a quiet sedate life should not have a terrier. They are little and adorable but for the most part I guess they are a dog for active folks. I have found myself being much more active than I would have chosen to be just because of Gracie......and that is a good thing.....most of the time.....except when I am falling asleep and she throws one of her toys in my face because she wants me to make it come to life for her so she can kill it! I don't know if she will ever outgrow that!
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!