View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Some dogs have a condition kind of like hyperactivity in humans. Giving her a lot of exercise is really important but trying to teach her how to calm down is just as important.

I'd say Gracie was really ultra active during her first 2 years. She turned 3 last May and I can see a lot of the puppy stuff has lessened. She still expects her two outside walks a day and wants to play fetch, she still likes to patrol the backyard when I am out there with her but she doesn't play with the cats quite as much and I find she is more inclined to nap a couple of times a day if nothing is going on around here. She still is very courious and prefers to be active though.

Do you work on obedience with her? Things like sit, stay, down, come, and some tricks? That kind of thing helps expand their ability to concentrate. Dogs really love to achieve goals. They love the treats and extra praise, too! But the training can help teach them to have more control. If they seem to be looking for something to do (like trouble) you can easily have her do some of the things she has learned in order to keep her mind busy and reenforce what she has learned.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!