Thread: Eddie at sunset
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
joyce evans
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
Do you guys have any examples of where the background makes the picture? Post them!

I'm posting this on "Photography Talk" in hopes of sparking some discussion on what makes this picture work.

I took it yesterday on our daily walk -- nothing planned. I happened to see the sunset at its peak and I happened to see a mound of snow that I could set Eddie on, so I started snapping away. The only thing I planned was to carry my camera.

What I found interesting is I got a ton of Facebook likes -- maybe more than any picture or video I've ever posted. My question: Why?

If you toss out the sunset, I've taken better pictures of Eddie before. He's just standing there expressionless. So I figured the sunset is really what makes it. But if that's the case, would I have gotten the same number of likes if I'd just taken a picture of the sunset? No! It wasn't that special, and there are houses and telephone lines in there too.

I'm convinced that a big reason the photo got so many likes is because I used fill flash to make Eddie stand out in the relative darkness. It was sort of an afterthought. Most of the pictures I took used no flash -- I generally don't like flash because it removes natural shadows and makes pictures look phony.

But in this case, Eddie's face was too dark and muddy in the first pictures I took. I decided to turn on the flash so his face would pop out. I honestly think that's why this picture got so many likes.

What I find interesting is that the background and the technique made the picture -- not necessarily the subject.

Got any cool backgrounds that made your pictures better? Post them here!
I have nothing that compares to Eddie's picture! It's beautiful and his face does pop. Love this thread! I've gone from Alaska to Hawaii!! LOL!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!