View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriojas9093 View Post
Hello all,

I would first like to introduce myself, my name is Jenny and I have been a lifetime yorkie lover and owner! I have always had yorkies in my home for as long as I can remember, and my Grandma used to breed them. I however have never tried breeding them, and have ALWAYS just had them as companions. I have experience in breeding dogs, but only with english springer spaniels which are much larger that yorkies. I have a male and female yorkies, and my female has just had her second heat. I kept them away from each other (just like I did her first heat) with a onsie on my female and a belt on my male (and of course by just keeping an eye on them). Well my daughter got a fever in the middle of the night, and of course I had to run to the store to get her tylenol. I put my female in her cage, and left my husband to watch them for less than 5 minutes, and when I came home they were tied through the cage!

My concerns are this, she is so small! My female is 5.5 lbs and my male is 8.6 lbs( both AKC papered with no dogs any larger in their pedigree) , so there is a weigh difference. Is that too much of a difference?? Of course I took her to the vet, at that stage he couldn't say if she was for sure pregnant or not,, he just said to bring her back in about 5 days from her due date for an x ray. Her due date is December 14th and I always thought in this stage with my springer spaniels I could feel pretty well defined lumps in her belly, I can not fell any sepertate lumps in my yorkies belly, she just seems to be getting fat. Her nipples are swollen, but her vulva seems to have gone back down to normal size. Could this possibly be a false pregnancy? Also is it too late to do an emergency spay at this stage? I didn't even think about it until I started reading on here, ANd my vet disn't mention this at all to me at our visit. If she can't handle the birth I don't want to loose her. It would also devastate my kids to loose her right before Christmas! My final question is this, can the vet tell with certainly in the x ray if she will be able to deliver the pups? Has anyone ever had an experience where their vet told them the female would have no problem, and there was a problem? ANy other advice that you can possibly give to me I would appreciate! I tried to ask my Grandma, but she is 89, and all she said when I asked her was "she will be fine honey...it natural!"

Thank you all in advance for any advice! I look forward to your help and guidance!
First......"no dogs any larger in their pedigree" Does this mean you know all dogs produced by all the breeding pairs listed back at least 9 generations, so you actually know what size pups these dogs routinely produce? That is the knowledge you need, otherwise you are just rolling the dice in a crap shoot, with unkniown odd against you. If you know the lines you have, routinelyu throw small puppies that mature to 4-5 lbs, inspite of your larger male, then you have the odds in your favor you probably wont have a "throwback" that will be larger to cause a problem.
Second......"can the vet tell with certainly in the x ray if she will be able to deliver the pups?" Depends on a couple of facts. Your vet could have done a ultrasound after 3 weeks following the tie, that would verify that momma is pregnant and how many babies are expected....but your vet has to be proficient in reading ultra sounds. If you have an xray done on day 58, your vet should be able to easily see how many babies are present, and he should be able to clearly measure the pelvic ring to see if each puppy will fit thru the ring. If they will fit thru, that is PART A of that equation. PART B is positioning...and that changes right up until the babies are born....if someone gets transverse across the birth canal, you are skuewed, unless you know how to manually reposition the baby.....and that does not work very often. Also, if puppy legs and head get in odd positions that prevent passage of the puppy, again, you have to either fix it manually or c-section is necessary.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!