Thread: Dog Parks.....
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I have iffy feelings on dog parks. I used to LOVE them, see nothing wrong with them, etc. To be honest, I've had mostly positive experiences at the dog park.

But it is true, I've seen way too many clueless people who walk in, and either don't understand dog body language at ALL or maybe are looking a little too closely into it.

There's two extremes, really. You have the people who allow their dogs to just run wild, humping everyone, jumping on everyone, growling (not playfully), etc, who are all "oh they're just dogs! Let them play!" Then the other end of the spectrum, person walks in with their dog, won't take them off the leash, a dog goes up to sniff their dogs butt and they immediately pick them up off the ground and think the other dog was being aggressive. LOL...

I do not think it's a great place for puppies, especially in crowded parks. It can often make or break a dog liking other dogs or traumatize them. And people have this idea that ALL dogs must love ALL other dogs, when that's simply not the case. Some dogs simply aren't 'dog park dogs' and there is nothing wrong with that.

I occasionally bring Jackson to our dog park (used to a lot more when he was younger). We have two close ones, and frequent one more than the other. The one we go to is regulated and in a state park, so there are park rangers, etc, available close-by. Most people here tend to follow rules, and sometimes can be a bit snobby, but sometimes it's better that way. I am very good at reading canine body language and I also know my own dog very well. If he is not enjoying himself, we leave. If I see a questionable dog, we leave. We're also on the small dog side which I find has less problems.

But basically, I would say: know your dog, take caution, and don't be afraid to protect your dog. Mostly, I find the dogs all get along well and have fun.
I have seen lots of problems on the big dog side but very little on the little dog side. There has only been a couple times me left one someone brought in an aggressive pit puppy, another time someone brought in a bigger dog that was scared of every thing and would react aggressively and then there was a pug that was aggressively following Callie and running into her a not leaving her alone and it was making her very uncomfortable. One of the reasons I stop going though was Callie would keep getting in the bucket of water so we had to dump it and go to the big dog side to refill it plus I had a soaking wet dog every time it wasn't because of the dogs or the people. I think the biggest thing is if your dog doesn't like it don't do it or if there not enjoying it leave. You really have to pay attention to your dog.

Last edited by Lovetodream88; 11-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!