Thread: Meet Winston
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Marhcarter
♡Huey's Human♡
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonRN View Post
This is my new baby, Winston. Hes 10 weeks old and 2.6 lbs. He's charting to be 6.5lbs full grown. We've had him for about a week and a half, which I know is early but I kept hitting brick walls with breeders so we decided to take him earlier than we wanted. My husband and I just got married 2 months ago, we don't have any kids and I'm a nurse so I only work 3 days a week so we have plenty of time to devote to him. For the most part he is doing great. He has tons of energy and seems perfectly healthy. He's been to the vet, who said he looks great. The only thing she noticed was a slight heart murmur but she said it was nothing to worry about, that it would likely go away with age.
My only concern is how much he eats. I put down a 1/4 cup of food for him 3x a day but he never finishes it. I'd say hes probably only eating a total of 1/2 a cup a day. I'm switching him over to Wellness Puppy right now, he was previously eating puppy chow . Once I looked up all the crap in puppy chow, I couldn't wait to get him off of it. Should I try to get him to eat more or is this enough for a pup of his size?
Congrats and welcome to YT! Winston is adorable!
My 8lb 4.5yr old yorkie eats a little less than 1/2 cup of BB Freedom daily. I read 1tbsp of kibble per lb of dog a day, divided into multiple servings is appropriate. Pups need a little more, but I got that from a yorkie how-to book. So, 8lb dog=8tbsp=1/2 cup, so mine gets 1/4 cup twice daily. He has been fed that same amount since he was <5lb puppy and it seems to suit him. Sometimes he eats it all, sometimes not. As long as you aren't having hypoglycemia problems, I figure they will eat what they need. I was not a hand feeder "must eat" kind of puppy mom, but mine didn't have any hypoglycemia issues, either. He is a healthy weight for his size and has never been a really enthusiastic eater.
Wellness has probably got more concentrated nutrition than puppy chow, so he may eat even slightly less. As long as he is a healthy weight and energy is good, he is probably getting what he needs.

Last edited by Marhcarter; 11-17-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Marhcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!