View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
yipyap
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 049 Very good advice here from many owners!

There are some very good desensitization techniques given in the above notes to help any age dog get used to being left alone. You do have to do the coming and going in short practice stages, and the human must "stay calm" like this is NO BIG DEAL IF PUP IS LEFT IN ITS SAFE PLACE. Don't even make eye contact as you finally walk out of the room. Don't go off and leave your pup in his new home unless you have done some simple practice trips out the door into different rooms in the house where he cannot go...but, you always return "glad" to see him. It does you no good to get every thing all set up...the puppy pen, or a crate, and NOT "Practice going in and out of the room" before the big day comes when the pup must stay alone for a longer period. It also really makes the puppy a wreck if the owner falls all over him with hugs and kisses, gets all weepy, and acts nervous to leave...that makes the puppy feel really nervous! STAY CALM! I used to leave the radio or t.v. on low if Taffy was left in the den..he has his crate & bed in a corner and could trot into the kitchen for his food or water. We used to put out his newspapers in a 'boot tray' for him, but he totally ignores them now..he prefers going outside and hurrying back in for his snack treat. Taffy is 3 years old now, and he basically an outdoor trained dog. If accidents rarely happen it was because Owner didn't get home soon enough, he leaves it on kitchen door mat by the back door. Doggie hint: Where were you!!
When he was young, he just stayed in the Kitchen with his bed, doggie dishes & 2 newspaper trays, OR else in the large round puppy pen (during our work days) in the Basement with another sleeping crate attached into the sides with all his extra dishes and newspaper trays. However, even though he tolerates the basement set-up, he does not really like it, because we all don't really "live" down there. Dogs Don't like to be put in rooms that their owners don't really use -- your scents aren't there! (Our sister would come over to walk him, refill bowls, & change his newspapers.)
Taffy loves to be allowed to take over my bedroom if I drive to the city about 14 minutes away. He always slept in my room as a pup, so to him IT IS HIS REAL SLEEP DEN. He runs upstairs when he sees me putting on my coat and getting a purse, hoping he can stay on my bed and end up snoozing on my pillows! However, if he has Not eaten his breakfast yet, but has gone to bathroom a second time just before I leave, I will close off the baby gates and have him stay downstairs instead of up in my room, so that he will eventually go eat his a.m. breakfast in the kitchen. He finally eats while I'm in town, and then he goes through the two rooms' connecting d oor to snooze in his den crate or on the den rocking chair pad in that family room. Now, if he was upstairs in my room, I'd have to close my bedroom door, no food dishes upstairs....he just loves to guard the bed! Plus, if my door is not shut, he loves to sneak from my bedroom into the front room on the second floor where the 2 little parakeets large cage is, and he tries to put his paws upon their cage's table to watch them...which makes them nervous wrecks...they think he's a predator out to get them! He probably would love to get ahold of those fluttering creatures, too! (One did get out and flew across the room, I yelled "No, Taffy, No!" in my old teacher's voice and he stopped fast. I told him "Out!" and closed the door behind Taffy until Petey was back on my finger and into his cage. The birds go to their highest perches and watch Taff if he's in their room! As far as their concerned he is like a "fox".
At any rate, do Practice going in and out of rooms where the pup can go and make him wait outside the rooms where he isn't allowed to go...like the company living room or dining room. Use barriers! We have baby gates, and Mike made long 10 - 11 inch high clear plastic strips from Lowes plastic sheets that we just sit across doorways...Taffy hates them...of course we took him up to them & said No! You have to watch out for them yourself; don't go tripping over these clear barriers!! P.S.--Remove when company arrives or Splat!
I can only think of a very few times when Taff jumped a plastic barrier to get back a toy....he got a big,"NO" and toy went away for 10 minutes. He says hello to our company in the living room with me holding him if he doesn't know the people, and then goes up to my room to snooze..not all people like the cute, bouncy Yorkie greeting,and Taff can wind himself up into "full, crazy Yorkie mode" for visitors--spinning, hopping,& twirling like a dervish. (He can only go into our company rooms if he is called to come in and is lifted over the "door barriers" by us.) Sadly, Not all people are dog lovers, so we do just a quick hello with them!
Also, practice leaving your pup at home by himself by just walking outdoors to the end of your porch, then to the mailbox, then a short drive away, then stay away a bit longer. Act pleased to see the pup again, but stay calm! Resume your regular routine! He should be relaxed if you come and go; you'll still get kisses.
Let him know you'll always return and will be glad to see him!! LOL,Sue & Taffy
yipyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!