View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
10thmuse
Yorkie Yakker

Default My poor bug - Hip dislocation

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice, sympathy, and experiences from others regarding a dislocated hip. I noticed very recently that my Bug stopped using the stairs I have set up for her all over the apartment. Soon after, I noticed that she wasn't putting any weight on her back leg. I did my research and assumed it was probably LP or a torn ACL. I was very wrong.

We were at the vet today and the X-ray showed that her hip was dislocated. Not only that, but it had clearly been an issue for a while without symptoms because she had lost so much muscle mass. I saw the X Ray and the difference in legs was astounding and horrifying.

It also turns out that the socket is almost non-existent. It is very shallow. There would be no way to put it back in place manually. Either she was born that way or the socket ossified because in comparison with the other, again, the damage was obvious. Bug is very tiny, only 2.7 pounds and that's full grown. So it's possible this was the result of an injury, but it's impossible to say. I've never seen her injured or in pain until now.

So she has to have surgery. They need to "clean out" the socket to get the femur back in. The problem is, because she has had so much muscle mass loss, my vet said it's possible it may never come back. if the muscle mass doesn't come back it will seem as if the surgery never took place. I'm going to do it anyway, but it is a risk.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? It sounds like a hip version of LP really, at least to me. Is this hip displasia?
10thmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!