Thread: New to yorkies
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Yorkies are terriers and they are a bit different than most dogs. Yorkies in particular can be very emotional dogs and tend to get very attached to their people. I feel so bad for Bailey. It sounds like he has had his little heart broken more than once. They do tend to follow their people around. They just feel they are part of your family (pack) and expect to be treated just like anyone else in your family. They tend to pout when they fell left out.

Since he already has a thyroid problem diagnosed it is a good idea to have him closely checked by the vet. Getting him on the best quality food you can give him will be a big help. Since he is so much smaller than your Golden he may do better with a food made for little dogs. I buy my little girl all natural treats. We do raw feeding so I only buy freeze dried raw meat treats for her. She does appreciate an occasional piece of apple or other fruit or vegetable as a treat.

I'm sure Bailey will appreciate any personal attention you can give him. Playing fetch and going for walks are some of "our" favorite activities. Of course she is very good about watching a movie on my lap or sitting with me while I work on the computer. As long as she has the personal attention of someone she is a happy camper.

A good groomer who knows how to do a good job working on Yorkies would be really helpful to you. (Don't trust just anyone. There are a lot of bad "groomers" out there. There is no regulation of the fast growing small dog grooming industry.) I only use all natural shampoo and conditioners on Gracie. It makes a world of difference in how manageable the hair is between shampoos. I bathe her weekly because she sleeps in the bed and is always on the furniture with us. All natural products protect the skin and coat from being dried out and actually condition instead. I also use a spray conditioner on her hair when we do her daily grooming. The spray helps to keep the ends from tangeling. A good metal grooming comb and a small metal pin brush will help keep him looking good as well.

Hopefully you and Bailey will do well together. I hope he gets a forever home real soon.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!