View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
theporkieyorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Sooooo close....but not quite there!!

So Ricky decided it was too cold to potty outside and he kindly requested I get him some potty pads. We had been down that road before so I was a bit hesitant...when I first got him, his foster mom told me he was pee pad trained....however, I had a hard time believing it as he would always pee everywhere but the pee pads....

Nevertheless, I honored his request and went and bought him pee pads and I spread them out in his favorite spots in the house and much to my surprise, he started using them. The first day, he would only pee on them and he still pooped in his favorite corner. So I added a pee pad in that corner as well and that became his pad to poo on.

His aim hasn't been so hot...so I added another and another and another pad to the pee spot until finally I've got about a 3x3 square for him to pee on....but he STILL seems to take a poo about an inch or 2 off the pad and when he piddles, sometimes it will be 1/2 on and 1/2 off the pad. I am fairly certain that he thinks he is hitting the pad so I can't really be mad at the little guy. He is trying and he's doing way better than I thought he would...In fact, he hasn't had an accident after the second day of using the pads. Nonetheless, I'd rather not ruin my carpeting.

SO...I am wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to get Ricky to improve his aim....or any suggestions of things I can do to prevent his mess from getting on my floor. It seems like it doesn't matter how many pee pads I put down, he will still pee in the corner of them. The pee pads are currently on my carpeting because they are his favorite pee spots. I plan on slowly moving the pads into my kitchen and onto my tile floor but I don't want to do it too quickly. The fact that he's using a pee pad at all is a miracle in my eyes, so I don't want to throw him off and mess up his progress by moving them too fast. On the other hand, it would be nice to actually put my carpet cleaner away for a few days.

One more thing...for those of you who use pee pads, how often do you change them?? Do you put a new pad down each time they pee?? Do you prefer disposable or washable pads and why?? It seems like the pads can get expensive if you are changing them every time they use it.

I clean my kitty's litter box every day and I make sure I thoroughly clean up a mess if the boys make it...but I am so afraid of having one of those houses that knock you down with the smell when you come in!!
theporkieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!