View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Trust me if I could take my large dogs into a vet in a carrier I would. Why? because people cant or won't control their dogs, and that includes small dog owners! Also because of risk of infection.

Personally I don't give two damn figs, if some-one thinks I have a cat in a carrier or my Yorkie. So I don't get insulted, and if I don't want to answer the question I don't.

I also feel many reception areas in vet offices are very poorly designed. Not enough space to keep dogs away from each other. Even on very short leads!

There should be a spacious area for ingress and egress throughout the reception area. No seating area in front of the reception where ppl have to pay the bill while keeping their dog on lead. At an emergency hospital when I took my dog in for emergency treatment and had to pay on the way out; I was focussed on paying the bill, my large boy was at heel and at a sit, when another dog seated behind me, lunged forward to greet or what-ever my dog. I was pulled off my feet by my dog who turned to meet the lunge and protect me. Very poor design. And yes the lady who had the Malamute could have had a shorter lead on her dog, but she was also pulled out of her seat when her boy went for mine. I held onto Magic and issued sternly his STOP command but he was very agitated, I was on the floor and vulnerable, but I would not let go of his lead.

What I think should happen is that a separate exit area is designed where you pay your bill on the way out. That should insure one on one bill payment with no other dogs or ppl present.
My vet's office is like that. You go in the front door, and out the side door, past the cashier window...which is in the same office space as the front counter. The seating area is away from the front 'entrance' counter, too...and it is a small veterinary building...just well designed. I think the only reason to take a dog on lead to the vet is if it is too big for a carrier and/or for the owner to carry. I couldn't care less what someone else 'thinks' is in my carrier...that baby is going home with me anyway, so only ONE opinion matters...mine!

Of course, I don't let my Yorkies touch the floor/ground in most places I take them anyway...too much dangerous stuff they might come in contact with being that close to the floor/ground, and no way could I beat them to it if they found something they wanted to sample. Plus, whatever they walk on, they will lick off their paws...ick...so, no...I carry mine.

That was a close call with Magic, and both you and the other owner could easily have been injured...glad you are okay.

I am sorry that guy gave you such a bad time. Not only can you NOT fix stupid, it is often impossible to avoid it!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!