View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

The secret is to introduce them slowly to the change in temperatures and keep them moving. I don't miss a walk as the seasons are changing, so they hardly notice the change taking place.

If they're just standing outside, they're going to get cold -- just like you. Chart out a 20-minute walk and keep moving through it. A coat works great but only if you keep them moving.

I dress mine in a coat that doesn't restrict their movement -- I prefer no legs, but if you use a legged coat, get one that doesn't restrict their movement. I use booties only when there's snow on the ground.

I don't think twice about the cold down to -5F. Below that, I may cut the length of the walk or skip it altogether for a day. I really pay attention to them before, during and after the walk to know how the cold is affecting them.

Good luck! Dogs do love winter walks -- breaks the boredom and keeps them happy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!