View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
tokipoki
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I prefer to stay within the 25%-30% range for protein. It's just a personal preference. I don't want to go lower than 25% but really have no desire to go higher than 30% either. I just feel it gets wasted. Having dry kibble at 42% protein just seems like a waste... and too excessive. They'll probably end up just peeing it out anyway.

As far as fat, I won't go over 18%. I prefer a 12%-17% range. For a breed prone to pancreatitis, I don't know, I just don't see a need for any foods over 18% fat. Also, beware of minimums. A lot of foods have 18% "min" fat, and that's not a MAX. So technically a food that says it's a min of 18% could be UP to 22+% etc. You can ask a company if they know their maximums.

Jackson is 17lbs, and active, and he gets 1/2 cup per day of kibble, along with wet food, and he gets a Dentastix or a Get Naked chew every night, and some treats throughout the day (Buddy Biscuits low fat). Sometimes I up his food to 2/3 cup per day if he is extra active. This is the condition I like him the best in:

Those are pretty much the ranges I like to stay within as far as fat and protein go. That is a good point about listing the "min" on the bag...it makes you wonder how much is actually in the food! I'd hope it wasn't too much higher than what they state...kinda misleading if so.
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!