View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I prefer to stay within the 25%-30% range for protein. It's just a personal preference. I don't want to go lower than 25% but really have no desire to go higher than 30% either. I just feel it gets wasted. Having dry kibble at 42% protein just seems like a waste... and too excessive. They'll probably end up just peeing it out anyway.

As far as fat, I won't go over 18%. I prefer a 12%-17% range. For a breed prone to pancreatitis, I don't know, I just don't see a need for any foods over 18% fat. Also, beware of minimums. A lot of foods have 18% "min" fat, and that's not a MAX. So technically a food that says it's a min of 18% could be UP to 22+% etc. You can ask a company if they know their maximums.

Jackson is 17lbs, and active, and he gets 1/2 cup per day of kibble, along with wet food, and he gets a Dentastix or a Get Naked chew every night, and some treats throughout the day (Buddy Biscuits low fat). Sometimes I up his food to 2/3 cup per day if he is extra active. This is the condition I like him the best in:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skinnyjax.JPG (113.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5938.jpg (86.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Britster; 10-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!