View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Default Momma knows best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Let your momma wean her babies!!! This is suckling time that is also necessary for personality develpment and security. Your babies need this bonding and teaching with momma. This is why you leave them until they are 12 - 14 weeks old. Continue to allow them to eat puppy food, but dont rob them of the suckling instinct. Let your momma do what God has programmed her to do!!! She will wean them off her without you getting involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I let my mommas decided when to wean their pups. Some will not let them nurse past 8 week or 9 weeks and other might let them nurse until the pups are 12 weeks old. It is similar to weaning a child. Some children need a bottle longer than others.

I also have observed that the tinier pups tend to need their mommas longer. Often the female might have very little milk but the pups still want to nurse just for the satisfaction of suckling their momma.

Please make sure you have trimmed your puppies toenails. The toenails get very sharp and that can be more painful than the teeth. You can use people toenail clippers to clip the little sharp points off the puppies nail.
I always let mommas wean their pups. Babies are more secure and they also learn discipline from mom.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!