View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Ginas_babys
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl0000 View Post
Also could you tell me about the calcium cause to really get here to eat good I have to put a teaspoon of cottage cheese in her food.
Bella weighed 5lbs pre-pregnancy, and then she gained a whole pound, so she was up to 6+lbs by the time she reached her due date.But as I said, she never had a huge belly, she just looked like she´d gained a pound..which she had! lol.

As for her calcium intake, we started feeding her royal canin starter kibble (for puppys and pregnant females) when she was about -5 weeks into her pregnancy.
We also gave her a good scoop of cottage cheese with that and I´d also make her what we call (here in Spain), a miracle milkshake.It´s what we use for calcium and to prevent hypoglycemia in pregnant toy breeds.
It´s an egg yolk, half a glass of luke warm skimmed milk and half a teaspoon of honey.We gave this to her once a day every other day.

You do have to stop her calcium intake about a week before she is due to have her pups, because a high calcium intake at the end of pregnancy can cause eclampsia..and that can be fatal.So 7 to 10 days before she is due, take her off of the puppy food and don´t give her any more calcium supplimentes (cheese, milk etc etc).

Once she has her pups, you go right back to the puppy kibble (royal canin starter) and you can start with the miracle milkshakes and the cottage cheese again.

Now, Bella is 2 weeks post partum, she´s back down to 5lbs, and we have been giving her the milkshakes and cheese regularly.
Ginas_babys is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!