View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

It's difficult for anyone who is not there to observe your dog to know what the right answer would be. My neighbor's little girl bounces off the walls all day long. To me, that is not typical energetic puppy behavior. I believe she is hyperactive.

I agree with Ellie May's advice to talk to your vet and a veterinary behaviorist.

I work mostly from home and Max constantly has a toy in his mouth asking me to play. Teddy constantly wants attention too, but they don't harass me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Charm View Post
I know often long walks are not recommended for the little guys, sounds like your lady wouldn't do without them! There are actually a lot of calming supplements for dogs on the market so you must not be alone. Calm aid by nature vet is one I am aware of. Have you got doggy day care in your area? Portland is packed with them! And play groups, maybe your lady needs another dog friend to play with? Nothing like another frisky pup to chew on each others legs! Good luck
Long walks are fine for small dogs. There are many here who go 5 - 6 miles on a single walk.

I like your idea of trying natural calming aids. Can't hurt, as long as there is no interaction with prescription drugs that may be used. Calming scents may be another idea.

A second dog doesn't always keep the first dog entertained. My boys do not self-entertain. Instead of one face looking up at me for attention, I have two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Also, do NOT roll her on her back as a form of punishment. Dominance training/theory has been debunked by the very people who created it. No need to stress a dog out. It will not help anything.

It also seems to me that she has learned that what she does gets her attention. When you say I seriously can not spend more than 15 minutes at a time with out her biting or yelling at me for attention. What do you do when she is doing this to you? Talk to her, give her attention, or just ignore her?
I agree with ditching the "alpha roll" on her back. Not productive, and could be dangerous with a hyperactive dog.

While training is needed, I do think hyperactivity and related problems also need medical attention as well.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!