Thread: Litter Training
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
bizzbeth
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneticgal
Hi!
Has anyone successfully done litter training for their yorkies exclusively? Lexie is 6.5 mos old and is about 80% trained, but I am worried about the 20% she misses. She knows where to go, but chooses not to at times. I admit I probably made a mistake by giving her too much freedom too soon. Also.. I am using puppy pads with a newspaper on top. She will not use the same newspaper more than once- I try very hard to stay on top of it so it is always clean. I tried the Purina litter for dogs but she thinks it is a snack!! Any advice?? Thanks- you guys are the best!!
Hello!!! I have a three and a half month old boy and I started him litter training the day I got him (8 weeks old--- I know, he was too young....) but the day I took him home I plopped him in th ebox and waited till he went. Today, only two months later, he is completely potty trained. I can say "go potty" and he runs to his litter box (in the bathroom) and goes. He was having trouble, for awhile, remembering where it was in our two story townhouse.... but one day he just got it!!! I use Tidy Cat litter- and i've never had a problem with him eating it. It is sort of messy after a couple of days of him hopping in and out. I just vaccuum once a week and change the litter once a week. (I scoop the poop everytime he goes though).
Now that your baby is a little older you might have to watch her constantly as you re-train her to go in a little box. I read, one time online, about how to train your dog to go from paper to litter. Start with a little litter in the back of the box and the paper in the front and gradually remove more paper and add more litter.
If you have any questions about how I taught Oliver, just ask!!!! GOodluck! I know it's so hard when they mess everywhere!
bizzbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!