Thread: Short hair
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
yipyap
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 036 Depends on your dogs type of hair!

I've seen some Yorkies with thick almost fluffy hair that looks cute when cut
short...look like little fluffy teddy bears! Then, you have the Yorkies, like my little 5 lb. male, who have fine, thin, silky hair--like a young human child of two might have. I have to keep Taffy's body coat just a simple "coat length" 3 inches below his body, curving up a bit as I trim toward the rear legs. I even-up any stray hair on his legs, but I don't like the way he looks if his "leg hair" is cut too short, it makes his legs look thin! I trim carefully under tummy to same length as the outside coat. I shorten hair around his rump so no bits of "poo" can cling under his tail! I loved Bows; he (and my hubby) hate them! Taffy WOULD always succeed in using both paws to tug his bows off when at home--ouch! I finally said to myself, oh well, he's a family pet, and I studied calendar & magazines of "Yorkies with bangs"--not too short, but so he can see well..they are best angled from center of forehead back to side over outer eye. I leave the hair on top of his head longer and the sides of his face longer and his beard longer. But, he doesn't get to grow the LONG hair of Show Yorkies, I'd never keep all those fine tangles out! He likes his sweaters on, if my hubby has the furnace set back in fall & winter. (Floors are much cooler than up where we humans are..) I actually let his coat get a bit longer in warm weather, because he can get snarls from running in his cool weather sweaters..so that's when I part the top of his body hair, comb down smooth on each side, and keep bottom length no more than 3" longer than his underbody. I use his round-tip dog scissors to comb straight downward from top of his back sliding to the ends of his hair, he likes this sensation...no more pulled hair, because if I hit a snarl, then I just snip through while sliding down toward floor..no painful tugging on hair! Taffy got used to scissors when young!
yipyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!