View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Sunnydayz
YT 500 Club Member

Default How to keep Gizmo from jumping through my stairs?

So, I've had gizmo now for I think about 7 weeks, and he's listened to the word no really well. I also have three cats that have been his mentors unfortunately :-( until today I have been able to keep him from going up the stairs by a simple command of no. Gizmo also loves my husband, and this week my hubby has been working nights. When Gizmo hears his hubbies shower start in around noon he gets so excited, because he knows the hubby if awake.

Well today he finally decided to rebel lol. He heard that shower and went flying up the stairs before I could stop him. The other problem is, when my cats come down stairs, they take a short cut through the wrought iron railing about halfway down and jump. Gizmo loves the cats so much and follows them everywhere. He's only just over 3lbs right now, so I'm scared to death of him taking a death defying leap right along with the kitties. He's fast, super fast in fact lol. So I'm wondering if anyone here has figured out a way to block off an open staircase that has wrought iron railing? The problem is, he can fit under the bottom of the railing, so whatever it is would have to fit into each riser to completely block it.

I tried googling a solution but came up with nothing :-( I also put a call into my local contractor I know to see if maybe he can custom cut plexi glass to fit into each riser of the stairs and go the full height of the railing, so it looks like we did it on purpose haha.

Anyone else with this problem? Is so any ideas would help, as it just scares me to death to think of him going through the railing right behind the cats.

Also a baby gate will not work, as he has already figured out how to walk on the stairs on the outside of the railing as well, on the little 4" ledge that is outside of the railing. So hr would just try walking the outside, till he gets past the gate, then go through to the stairs once he bypasses the gate. I'm afraid little Gizmo has finally outsmarted me LOL.

It's unbelievable how smart he is. Thank you in advance for anyone who has dealt with a similar situation or has any ideas. I really need to do something fast haha.
Sunnydayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!