View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I agree with the above. LP is waaay down on the list of concerns right now.

There are many bad pet owners in this world. You are not one of them.

Crate rest is indicated for both issues. I'd take the restrictions one step further than your vet is recommending and give her no space to do anything except rest. A kennel, playpen, or your lap... Even walking around is not going to help her back.

She should be on pain meds. It sounds like you are worried about giving Tramadol? It is a very safe drug. When my girl takes it she takes a very high dose and does fine. The biggest problem (which isn't really a problem at all) we have had when medicaring Ellie for her back is that the drugs make her realllllly, um, b!tchy. When she is in pain she soetimes just lays around. When it gets worse her ears and tongue get hot, she stretches out like a board, etc. Fast breathing tels me she is in severe pain which has only happened once. Just watch her close.

A neuro consult would be about $150. Your vet could do xrays and have a neuro look at them. You could just let her rest. If there are any signs of paralysis that would be an emergency.

Every owner is different when it comes to how far they want to go. As long as any pain is managed, that is ok. I elected not to go beyond xrays with Ellie simply because I wasn't going to do anything with added information. I wasn't about to let somebody cut her because she wasn't a good candidate.

your best iption s to try and get funds together in case they are needed, keep close contact with her vet, and bring a neuro into the mix if possible.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!