View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccles View Post
the problem seems to be on the left hand side of his tail area. if you start scratching the area, you can tell by his reactions this is the spot. I tried feeling around, it seems a little raised in a certain spot, and you can tell if you rub the area, it is comforting to him. and that this is the spot that is causing the problem, but what could it possibly be?
he doesn't have any problem going to the bathroom, he goes every day and its a good decent amount he goes. so I'm not sure, if maybe he was bitten by something, and it irritated it.?
It could be his food. Tibbe started on a hepatic diet last Spring and since then the top of his lower back extending to the rump feels a tiny bit warmer, he's shedding for the first time, bites at his rear, wallows on his back alot and tries to scratch this area but he can't get to it. His sweet spot is the top of the base of his tail - if I scratch it for him, he throws his head back and jerks one of his legs involuntarily. That's a dead giveaway there is an itching, "hot" situation going on. Tibbe actually has no hot spots on his body though as he can't get to his itching area to scratch or bite - just bite at the air near it. The hepatic food apparently has something in it that he's allergic too and he just got all this up and going since he started on it. He also chews a bit on his pawpads since starting the food.

There are many threads on YT about itching, scratching, rear-biting and paw-chewing as an allergic reaction to food develops.

Last edited by yorkietalkjilly; 10-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!