Thread: Squirt Bottles
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
buffy512
YT 500 Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
A squirt bottle is an aversive and they are called that because whatever the aversive, it is something the dog wants to avoid. Sometimes they want to avoid all things related to it, including further training. I personally do not like to introduce that type of issue into my relationship with my dog, let alone a dog I am training. I like to train a dog using only positive reinforcement and teach the dog how fun and rewarding it is to work together to learn how to control impulses, follow directions and respond to commands and that the end result of of our work together will be fun, reward and celebration - and a treat. What I love is when I see that the dog is understanding what I want him to do and that he very much wants to do it, to please me and to get his reward. There is such magic when a dog learns the art of working hard to please us and get that positive feedback from us. It becomes addicting for the dog as they love that celebratory feedback and the great treats. And to begin to squirt one while you are trying to communicate positively to train a dog and get all that positive interaction going between you seems counter-productive. If a dog isn't responding properly, I just up my game and pour on the enthusiasm and amp myself up to get the dog more involved and that will quickly get a dog re-invigorated, wanting to work. A simple "uh oh", finger snap or stepping in the front of the dog and walking toward it keeping steady eye-contact works much more effectively than a squirt in the face and the dog is not so shocked or taken-aback. And he sees you, not the aversive tool, as the one in control.

Some truly fearful, nervous or anxious dogs will just freeze up or shut down their interest in training if aversives are used in training them while others will lose trust in the trainer and amp up their nervous condition out of fear it could happen again. If you do use aversives, know your dog first and never use them on an anxious or fearful dog just to be on the safe side.
Wow. Great advice. Im soooo glad you chimed in. You have guaranteed me to NEVER do it.! Thanks. I couldn't agree with you any more. I appreciate your help! So what if it were to be the dogs barking neusant ly how would you respond.? Stern No..Dogs name is adequate.?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!