View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
yipyap
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 036 My 1st dog was a chewing Schnauzer, not my Yorkie!

My Yorkie was pretty good, just chewing his "safe toys" in his round basement pen while we were at work. He had an attached wire crate w/ bed and food & water dishes in a metal frame, pee tray + newspapers. So, when he was out with us, we kept him in our den or kitchen, and he played w/ sufferengs toys w/ us. He slept on my bed very happily. I took him to a beginner's obedience class of just 6 dogs per class, and he did pretty well...smallest dog there. He liked the attention of practicing each day, but only 10 minutes at a time + pieces of treats. As far as "socks" were concerned, he would wait until Mike was undressing and then zoom in close, grab a sock, & run to sit in the hall--hoping Mike would chase him! They ran around the hall & den having a good time, then Mike would tuck the sock under his arm & say "All done", and put the sock in the closet clothes hamper(which has a lid). So, Tafffy never chewed the socks, he just stole & ran w/ them, hoping for a game of Chase and some attention.
Now, my destructive dog was my 1st dog, a Miniature Schnauzer, little 'Bart'. (He was already named by his breeders.)
He was 6 months old and was already trained to pee outside. But, when I left him in my bedroom with his toys, etc.., he attacked the tightly woven carpet right along the doorsill. He really "shredded" it into 4-5 inch- long strands with his nails! Luckily, a neighbor had wisely kept 'carpet remnants' when the apts were first built--she had 2 little pugs who scratched rugs when they were little, too. She helped me replace the whole area along my bedroom's door with a clean piece of carpet, bless her! We weighted it down with some bricks we found & cleaned. Not to be outdone, Bart had a new surprise for me when I got home the next Monday, he was happily sitting on top of All of my bed's sheets, blankets, mattress pad, and quilt!! Nothing was ripped or chewed!--he had 'unmade'8 my entire double bed all by himself and was happily sitting on top of the whole pile! I called his breeders, the Coles, who lived in the city nearby. They raised their dogs for Obedience Competitions and Bart 's daddy had won every title there was to win. Well, Mrs. Cole said I should Never leave him in a room alone while he was "young"...she had me get a 'wire dog crate' and put his bed, safe toy, etc. in it in the bedroom. I asked her if that was 'cruel'. She said the pup would be more 'secure and calm' in his own crate-kennel, otherwise he would get into everything from boredom and anger at feeling 'left behind'! Well, it worked! I came right home, took him out of his crate for a nice walk, played with his toys, and fixed his dinner. Never heard any whining, just a happy bark when I came home to let him out.
When he was older, I did leave him in the den with the open crate and he would go nap in it! If I had to leave him for the grocery store, I said " Bart, crate!", point to it and he 'd trot right in! I did take him to obedience class, where he did well. But, he did much Better for the instructor than for me! The man told me that to Bart, I was his 'Nice Owner', so he would try to run back to me on the 'down & stay', but if the instructor took him, he was all business & obeyed well!
yipyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!