View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
ProfessorPeteZa
YT 500 Club Member

Unlove Medical Mystery Round 3: Seizures? Allergies? Steroids? Help!

Hi There,
I dont know if anyone has been following my saga but I'm on vet 3 now and I thought we had things in a good place but apparently not. I'd appreciate any input or advice. So let me give you a synopsis of the last 6 months.

My rescue dog who at the time, I had for 6 months suddenly started biting towards (not actually biting skin) her rear. LIke it was itchy. It was incessant and all day all night. shed jet around the house, trying to get under the furniture or under the covers. she was miserable. no sleep. she also started drinking lots of water. and having accidents. I took her to my regular vet and few times and they didnt know what was the issue. So i took her to the vet my rescue used and she thought it was an infection due to elevated white blood cells and put her on antibiotics. they helped. her symptoms subsided for a month then came back. the rescue vet thought the infection was back and put her on antibiotics again and the symptoms subsided after awhile and we thought things were ok. though she admitted she wasnt sure what the issue was.

So I found a third vet, my neighbors vet. I go there and show him a video of her behavior. He says they are seizures and suggests liver shunt. She has her bile acids tested and he said they were borderline but he wasnt worried that it was liver shunt and suggested that it was seasonal allergies. He put her on prenizone (sp? a steroid) and the symptoms subsided once more. he said if the symptoms come back, it's allergies and id go thru another course of steroids but this time augment with an allergy medication called Atopica. So, her seizures came back...and we went back on the steroids along with Atopica this time. It is day 4 and the seizures, lots of water drinking and lots of pee pee accidents have not subsided and NOW SHE HAS DIARRHEA accidents too( atopica?)! Any idea what this could be? PLease help. She's miserable. i'm miserable and my other yorkie, Bindi feels neglected.

Thanks for reading.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!