View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
barneysmommmy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Muzzle her in a soft muzzle to work up to putting on her by placing chicken bits in the bottom of it and allow her to eat out of it, live around it on the floor, beside her bed, food/water dishes and play with it with her so that she comes to accept it. Eventually put it on her head and take it right off and then treat. Keep repeating that and let her work up to having it on for a minute or two and then off again, slowly working up to more time on her. Start working with her including lots of walks, exercise, very short 5 minute training episodes, playing the challenging games and allow her to learn trust when people are interacting with her. Dogs routinely bite from fear and as a tool to keep us at arms-length at times when they are feeling unsure and overcoming that kind of fear and anxiety won't happen suddenly. It sounds as if she's been quite mistreated and built up a hard barrier trying to keep herself safe - bite first when anyone gets too close and ask questions later. Typical behavior in a badly neglected, abused, hurt dog who's never known anything about how people can really be - loving, charitable and interesting. It will take her time to learn that you are trustworthy so protect yourself and read all that you can about how to deal with a biting dog on the Internet.

I would also Google the "Nothing In Life Is Free" programs, read several and use the one you like best for your dog and your family. She needs that program together with the exercise, challenge games and regular, routine obedience training and over time, she should begin to trust and love and learn how to control her impulses, including the one to bite.
Thank you so much for the advice. I am hoping we can avoid a muzzle. She has only snapped at me a few times. Today is one of the few times she's ever really bitten me and they weren't hard bites, just warnings. However, my MIL had peeked in while we were out and then I was with holding food from her in training. Yep. I asked for that one. I am certain she had food with held in her former situation. When the shelter got her she barely weighed 4 pounds. She is now nearing 8 pounds. She eats everything in sight. This is another issue altogether. I do not want to give the impression that she is out of control. She had a terrible day. My son and I are still going to try the food thing. We will just have to work up to it slowly. She is now resting comfortably, thanks to a little pill. Tomorrow the house will be quiet again, Matt will be gone, and hopefully all will be back to normal. Then, I will try the training again. In the meantime, I will definitely be looking at the information you provided.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!